Monday, February 6, 2012

January Eco Recap!

We are coming up on a year of my quest to live eco-fashionably! It's unbelievable how fast the year has gone by. I'm starting to gather my thoughts about what this journey has taught me and how I will approach fashion in the future. I'll have my summary for you by February 17 - the one year reunion of my blog posts!

A little re-cap on some purchases I've made since Christmas...
So it's getting cold! Well not really (warmest winter in Boston in a while), but trust me my apartment is still very cold. I did some research on finding a warm bathrobe and warm slippers that would fit within my rules. Turns out it's pretty hard to do - at least in a reasonable price range. I've actually given up on the bathrobe. There are plenty of great terrycloth organic cotton bathrobes, but they are all around $200, and  the chunky terrycloth style is not something I'm looking for. I did manage to find some slippers though, and I finally bought something from Etsy!! They are from the seller Wooly Baby:

Wooly Baby slippers are handmade from upcycled sweaters and leather for eco-friendly warmth and comfort. 


I really like them, and they are super cute. The only problem is they aren't really warm enough for my cold feet in a 65 degree apartment, and they are starting to get pilly, which is a shame.

The other thing that I found during the Christmas sales at Bloomingdales was a casual sweater from the brand Alternative Earth:

Alternative Earth fabrics are made with organic cotton, recycled polyester and man-made fibers derived from sustainable raw materials, and then finished with non-toxic dyes, biodegradable fabric softeners and natural enzymes for a vintage-soft touch. 


I was very excited to find something that I could actually buy in Bloomies, and I really love it. It's big, comfy, and soft. Turns out they don't usually carry the brand in stores, it was an online return. I thought that was too bad, but at least it's an option in some way!

OK this last purchase, I have to confess that when I bought it, I didn't know if it fit in my rules or not... But to be fair, they are shoes, and I have known for a while that buying eco-friendly shoes is a challenge. These were 50% off at the Tannery in Harvard Sq, and I really needed them for my work wardrobe. So I made an exception. Happily when I came home I did some research and found out that they are in fact considered eco-friendly:

Born shoes use Opanka construction, which is a hand-sewing process that reduces the need for adhesives and machinery. 


So they probably aren't the most eco-friendly shoes on the planet, but I appreciate that they their process uses less chemicals and resources. Plus I know Born shoes are made well and will last a long time - which in fact is something I look for in my rules!

No comments:

Post a Comment